Facing the Spotlight

Southmoore Theatre puts on Letters to Sala

Daniel Stoops

Everyone Sala ever knew begins reciting letters begging her to write to them.

Brooklyn Brumley, Copy Editor

This year’s play looked a lot different from the previous ones. Instead of a cheerful story about the holidays, director Brooke Perez chose for her students to take on a more serious story.

As always, Perez enlisted the help of two seniors, Kyleigh Baxter and Joe Campbell.

“[Being a student director is] like trying to light a fire with sticks and then realizing they are wet, so you have to wait for them to dry. So super stressful and seems almost impossible at times to get anything done. There are also moments when everything comes together and I feel so much pride in what we have accomplished and there are moments when something goes wrong and you feel like it is your fault. I worry all the time that I have not prepared everyone enough but I know I have done everything I could,” said Baxter.

With the main part of the play not being held in America, students had to learn how to do Polish and German accents.

“I just spent time listening to a Polish accent. For some reason, I tend to be able to pick up on accents quickly,” expressed Maddie Preske (10).

Sala (played by Maddie Preske) stares off into the distance thinking about her past. (Daniel Stoops)

Getting into character, especially when playing a character based on a real person, can be very difficult. But, by doing so you can find yourself in the character.

“What helps me get into character is just to think about the story, to really put myself in her shoes, to feel her emotions, and through that, I found that like Sala, I can relate to that feeling of no one listening and no one is there,” Preske said.

” But also like Sala, I learned that there are people who listen and care.”

— Maddie Preske

Not only was it new in terms of the show, but the entire process was also changed because of COVID-19. 

“There was a possibility of the show closing because of the virus. The possibility seemed like it would become a reality when we had a couple of actors and crew kids get quarantined a week before show and during show week. It made me and everyone else very anxious,” Baxter explained.

The people in the labor camp help Sala hide her letters from the guards. (Daniel Stoops)

But even with all the worry and anxiety, the students pulled through to tell an important story and gave it the justice it deserved!